For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018 (the “Act”), the data controller is the Ministry of Health of New Zealand.
References to "we" or “us” are to the Ministry and where appropriate, to Infonetica as a processor appointed by the Ministry.
We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our Website visitors and users and this policy sets out the basis on which any personal information we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data from you:
When you visit the Website:
- Your operating system, browser, IP address (a number assigned to your computer to identify it on the network);
- The pages you browse;
- The referring page that led you to the current page; and
- Your software and aspects of its configuration.
- Your personal identifiers, contacts and characteristics, including your name, address, email address and telephone number; and
- We may also collect personal data relating to third parties referenced in the application(s) that you submit via the Website. Where this is the case, you must ensure you have the necessary data privacy notices and/or consents to share such personal data with the Ministry and its processors.
If you contact us for any reason, we may also keep a record of that correspondence.
This information is available to the Website’s administrators and is used for audit purposes.
A cookie consists of information sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The information is then sent back to the browser each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
We use session cookies on the Website to keep track of you whilst you navigate the Website. Session cookies will be deleted from your computer when you close your browser.
Where we store your personal data
Data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and although we will do our best to protect your personal data, neither the Ministry nor Infonetica can guarantee the security of the data you transmit to the Website and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use appropriate security procedures and features aimed at preventing unauthorised access, unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. We will not ask you for your password except when you login to the Website or when you request us to provide you with technical assistance with the Website.
Uses made of the information
Under the Act, the lawful bases we rely on for processing personal data are:
- Your consent.
- You are able to withdraw your consent at any time.
- You can do this by contacting email@example.com; or
- We have a legitimate interest in doing so.
The personal information and research project information you submit to the Website is collected and stored for the purposes of:
- Operation and administration of the Website.
- Enabling your use of the services available on the Website, including making research applications; and
- Dealing with enquiries made by you relating to the Website or its use.
Personal information and project information will not be released to third parties except when authorised by the user (e.g. submission of application forms) or required by law.
Third party websites
The Website contains links to other websites. The Ministry and Infonetica are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.